Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Here we go!

EVERYBOBY DOES IT. That “I think I want to…” For me, some of those include “I think I want to…get a tattoo,” “I think I want to…skydive.”
Why is it though that we never always act on this? Could it be fear holding us back, financial reasons or do we think the idea is way too farfetched. Well on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 in a split second decision while driving home from work I decided to challenge myself to give some of these “I think I want to’s…” a try; and not just some…but 30, that’s right…30.
Why 30?  Well, this year, 2011, I turn the big 3-0 on October 2nd; so why not try 30 things that I have never done or have always wanted to do to celebrate my life thus far; and maybe learn a thing or two about myself along the way. Another reason for going for it is that I always thought that I would be in a different place in my life at 30. For me, I have gone my whole life thinking that I would be married with children by 30. Even after coming out in 2003, at 21 years old, I still thought that I would be married and probably adopting by 30. Now, at 29 years old I am no closer to that becoming my reality. Instead of dwelling on that I decided to live this last year of my 20’s for me and have a blasting doing it! Why not, right? This split second decision could make this transition from 20 to 30 not such a big deal! The third reason for doing this is that everyone seems to agree, at least it’s what I hear on TV, that the 20’s are for finding out who you really are by doing crazy things and making mistakes along the way. I don’t feel that I ever really took that many risks in my 20’s to help me realize who I was, so if I believe what I hear on TV, do I not know myself? Why not challenge myself to find out more about ME!
With the decision made to go for it, it was time put pen to paper and come up with my 30 things! This should be so easy…or so I thought. Thinking up the 30 things to do to enjoy/challenge myself is turning out to be a very hard task. It’s difficult to think of 30 things that I want to do in the next couple months that I have always wanted to try or things that I think will make me learn something about myself. So with that being said, the list is a work in progress but here is what I have so far! You ready? Here you go!
Bring down the lights in studio. Audience….I present to you…THE LIST…dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnn. Sorry I am super cheesy.
My 30 Things to 30!
1.       Skydive
2.       Run a 5k/10k
3.       Get a tattoo
4.       Get a paid photography job
5.       Do something for charity
6.       Learn the piano
7.       Make 3 new friends
8.       Take a spinning/ZUMBA class
9.       Participate in a flash mob
10.   Meet a celebrity face to face
11.   Walk the Brooklyn Bridge
12.   Stay a night in Time Square
13.   Try out for a reality show
14.   Have dinner alone
15.   Do an open mic night
16.   Take a design class
17.   Learn how to ski
18.   Look into adoption
19.   Try being a vegan/vegetarian
20.   Do something good for the environment
21.   Lose 15 pounds – I mean I gotta look good for this milestone in life.
22.   Bungee Jump
23.   Help a friend
24.   Helicopter ride
25.   Make my car a "No Phone Zone"
26.   Do something spontaneous!
27.   Work on being on time
28.   Love?
29.   Get this list published
30.   Have a kickass 30th Birthday Party
As you can see the list is not complete. I am constantly brainstorming ideas for this list that I am excited about! If you have any suggestions, let me know! Also, as you move along through this adventure with me I will explain why I decided to choose each one of these tasks and discuss/describe the adventure I had  seeing it through!
So, today is Wednesday, February 2, 2011 and I have just 8 short months from today to complete my list! Do you think I will make it? Let’s hope so! Here goes nothing!

4 comments:

  1. My friend Tara does a zumba class at Westfield All-Star gym. She's a good instructor, especially for first-timers. Heck, I even took her class (for 7 months!).

    Good luck on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good start on the list David. It's always good to challenge yourself. Now get a move on! Time's a wastin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jason! I will have to check it out.

    Auntie Joyce - Well get ready because this spring/summer we are jumping out of a plane together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've already done some of your list- you met Jimmy Falon face to face in New York... and you helped Chris in his auction last year... So you're getting there!

    ReplyDelete