Thursday, February 10, 2011

Thing Two: Learning How to Ski!

Learning How to Ski is on my list because I have always wanted to try it but never got around to it. I remember as a kid being in the backyard of my parent’s house, in the winter, with my brothers, Brian and Doug, and having Brian’s skis on, at least I think they were his, and “skiing.” By skiing I mean hopping in the too big boots that were already attached to the skis and going two feet; but as I kid I felt so cool and really felt like I was skiing!


My adventure to learn to ski took place on Saturday, February 5, 2011! I went to Blandford Ski Area, near Westfield, with 3 friends: Caitie, Nick and Jon. Nick's dad works Ski Patrol there and was able to get us FREE lift tickets and my rental only cost 5 bucks...that's right 5 bucks! Who could pass up on that deal! Nick, who has been skiing since he was a kid, took it upon himself to teach me and Caitie, who hadn't been skiing since she was 5, how to ski. Once we were in our boots with skis in hand, we headed to where else but…the Bunny Hill. (Side note: this Bunny “Hill" was no hill, it was a mountain, at least to me it was a mountain. I had tried snowboarding once somewhere else and their Bunny Hill was just that…a small hill.) Anyways, we made it to the Bunny Mountain, I mean “Hill” and headed up a little ways to test our skills. Nick gave Caitie and I some great instructions about making the pizza slice, etc., and then we off on our first attempt! We headed down the small incline to the bottom. Ok, that wasn't so bad I thought to myself...I could do that again! Well, instead of going back to our small incline, instructor Nick decided we should to go up the "Hill" a little more. Thankfully Blandford sets out little Teddy Bears as markers on the "Hill," so we decided to go half way to Teddy numero uno! Let’s do this! Well…first I had to master the tow rope, which I believe that is the ski term lol. The tow rope, for those who don’t know, is basically a cable with rubber grabs (they look phallic) on it that you catch and hold onto and get pulled up the “Hill” while on your skis. Nick said he would hold my poles, at least the first time, but I was like No, I GOT THIS! Cut to 2 seconds later when I dropped a pole and was to nervous to stop and get it, but instructor Nick picked it up on his way by. Once half way to Teddy #1 I dismounted from the tow rope and tried to steady myself with my one pole, which was not easy. Once reunited with my crew, Nick gave me my pole back, and then more instructions about taking our pizza slice across the “Hill” and about turming. (Obviously, Nick’s instructions were better then my description of them, but you get the jist).  So Caitie and I headed across the “Hill” pointing that pizza slice at the other side and putting weight on that outside leg to turn! Too bad on my turn I wiped out…gracefully, as I was told later (but who wouldn't wipe out gracefully at 1 mph… well...I could name names but I won’t). Only one fall that trip down, not bad! I got to the bottom and turned around looking for Caitie. She had a little more trouble then me and fell a few more times but still gave it her all. After the first round we went back up a few more times to half way to Teddy to get the hang of it. Once we mastered half way to Teddy, we finally made it to Teddy #1! P.S. the cute little Teddy bears did nothing for my nerves or fears; but then I realized that they were probably there because they were meant to be cute for the little kids learning to ski. Wait…am I too old for Bunny Mountain, screw it let’s learn to ski!  Let’s go Teddy #1! Caitie and I practiced a little more at Teddy #1, cuttin’ that “Hill” up with our pizza slice! We fell here and there but were improving! Time for Teddy #2! The only problem for me as we moved up the “Hill” was not the height but the increase in speed. I was not ready to go fast but the "Hill" was ready to make me go fast, and I freaked out a little. Going to fast made me feel out of control and make me forget about my pizza slice. After some more tumbles along the way we finally made it to then Teddy #3, this was not the top of Bunny Mountain but I was excited to get there! It was raining at this point and I was a sweaty mess, so we took one trip from Teddy #3 before deciding it was lunch time! I feel like we really accomplished a lot in a short amount of time and I was excited!


It rained off and on during lunch and after lunch while we a cardboard sled race. After the race, Nick competed in a speed trial on one of the slopes and made it look way to easy. Later, we found out that he won! My instructor, an OMA Large Fry Winner (that was the company listed on the trophy) for males 16 to 29! After Nick’s race we headed back to Bunny Mountain, by this time it was freezing rain and foggy. We started up to Teddy #3 but Jon and Caitie decided they were done, but I was already on the tow rope. At the bottom Nick asked if we wanted to move on to a bigger slope. We all declined. I declined because I was so nervous and said I wasn't ready. Then I thought "No I need to do this before we leave" so I turned to Nick and said "Let's do it" and instantly wanted to throw up. I hadn't even made it to the top of Bunny Mountain and here I was moving on to Bunny Mountain’s older brother (or sister, not sure what gender a ski slope is). Nick and I headed for the chair life, which again in itself is a scary experience; but Nick guided me through it, what a great teacher! On the way up I kept saying, "What am I doing" "Nick, I better not die" "Nick, my life is in your hands." He just laughed me off…real nice teaching style sir. About half way up the slope the chair lift stopped and we started bouncing - worst part of the whole ride. I had a little panic attack but all was well when we were moving again. Then we got to the top…I had gotten my instructions about proper dismount and…I didn't even fall getting off, very proud moment for myself! As we descended there was low visibility and freezing rain, which made it a little scarier. As we started down I picked up speed, again freaking me out, so what did I do…threw myself on the ground. Yup, super great move! While lying down, Nick came over and explained that if I point my skis up the mountain when turning it would slow me down. I got up, which I had mastered throughout the day, and started down the slope, again picking up speed. Nick kept shouting "Skis up the mountain" and I did what he said and it really helped! I made it down the mountain, only falling 2 more times after that, and I even tried skiing with skis together like the professionals, not fully together but a smaller pizza slice! Once at the bottom I was so proud of myself for attempting it!


We wrapped up our day after that and headed for the car when we found out that the road leading into the Ski Area was shut down because there was a pile up of cars on it due to icy road conditions…we were stranded. With no alcohol in the lodge, we held up in the warmth of my car until the road was reopened about 45 minutes later.


Overall the experience was so much fun; and I learned that I should have started skiing at an earlier age, like the youngsters there that day, because they seemed to have no fear! I am excited that I learned to ski and I can not wait to get out there again and practice…anyone up for skiing?


No comments:

Post a Comment